But for Developers, there’s also VoterScience API access that lets you can quickly add canvassing support to your existing app.
This is ideal for apps, such as CRMs or outreach platforms, that have a list of names. You can call an API to create a new canvassing sheet with those names, and then receive a webhook as the canvassing results are filled out. The general flow here would be:
- In your CRM app, add a button like “Export to Walklist” which takes a list from your app and passes it to the VS API. You’ll also specify a webhook to receive results and which users are allowed to access this sheet. Your app is then in full control of list management.
- Users can then open the walklist on the VS Canvasser app. They will log in via their email and are matched against permissions you provided in the first step.
- As users fill in canvassing results, VS will fire the webhook you provided in the first API call.
- Your app listens on a webhook and fills in results in your system. This could be adding tags, filling in fields, etc.
See https://github.com/Voter-Science/TrcLibNpm/wiki/Create-New-Sheets for API usage.
A few additional notes:
- This can also be used to integrate with an existing CRM. For example, we use this APIs to integrate between VS Canvasser and NationBuilder.
- Users for the canvassing can be separate from your CRM users. For example, you may have a few staff members that can access your CRM, but a totally separate field team for running canvassing.
- The VoterScience system also has a powerful data mashup engine that can merge in additional data sets or even provide geocoding.
So stop writing your own canvass apps and focus on more interesting problems!